I recently moved from Prototype and Scriptaculous to JQuery. The transition is not very smooth but wasn’t very painful either. Actually much of it is straightforward except for Drag and Drop. Anyway, everything was done and it worked fine in Firefox, Safari and Chrome. But not so with IE.
After upgrading to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard, I realized I can’t run the old PowerPC based programs any longer since the Rosetta technology is no longer supported from Lion itself. Luckily all my old software are for both PowerPC and Windows. So, I decided to go the route of virtualization and evaluated VirtualBox and VMWare Fusion. I settled for VMWare Fusion because it’s better for games and graphics.
I evaluted VMWare Fusion 4. I was ready to buy VMWare Fusion but I thought I will wait a few more days and see if they come up with a new release. After waiting a few weeks, I decided to just go and get VMWare Fusion 4 and placed an order. That evening, my trial version prompted me that there is a new VMWare Fusion version for upgrade. I immediately went to cancel my VMWare Fusion 4 order. However, it wasn’t possible even though it was not shipped yet.
Then I was upset about it and searched on the web if they have any sort of free upgrade for people like me who bought the old version within a day of the new release. Apparently they did have a free upgrade. However, to qualify for it, you should have purchased VMWare Fusion 4 between July 25th to Sep 30th. So, there is still some time!
Now here is the interesting thing. VMWare Fusion 5 currently retails for $49.99 but it’s possible to get Fusion 4 for less than that. That means, you can buy a newer version till September 30th for a lesser price and upgrade it to to VMWare Fusion 5. Note that you need to avail the upgrade by October 31th. Check the prices of VMWare Fusion 4 and Fusion 5 and decide for yourself.
In my case, I got Fusion 4 itself for $49.99 and on top I returned it with a shipping fine of $5 because I wanted to get a physical box of Fusion 5 instead of an electronic upgrade. So, you need to decide if you are OK with electronic upgrade and ready wait for some time to be able to get that savings.
Just thought it’s interesting to observe how it’s possible to get a discount due to this sort of a loophole and hence the post.